A bat is a traditional decoration during the Halloween season. By using these instructions you can make your own Halloween bat decorations. Origami, the art of Japanese paper folding, can be used to make many different animals and objects. Some items are harder than others to construct. This bat is a rather easy design to follow.
- Get a piece of paper. Any kind of paper is fine, as long as it is a perfect square. Normal size is approximately 6″ by 6″, but you can get a larger piece if you want. I will be using an 8″ by 8″ square.
- Fold in half diagonally, top right corner to bottom left corner.
- With the triangle tip pointing towards you, fold down the top side, leaving a little paper showing at the bottom tip.
- Fold the flap formed in step 3 back up, aligning to the top edge.
- Pleat the left and right ends to form the body at the center.
- Flip over and fold both wings down.
- Fold down the 2 top corners of the pleated body to form the ears.
- Crease a little to shape a body.
- Make sure if your paper is colored on one side and not on the other, that you start with the color side facing the table.
- Don’t make your first crease hard until you are sure that you won’t have to fix it.